Friday 21 March 2008

London for Beginners

Change of place for today, I'd have a couple of notes from London to offer where I spent Wednesday and Thursday. Going there and back on the bus (which is the cheapest short-notice way) should have lasted four hours each – actually the latter took a bit longer, but both were overall not quite worth a notice. However, I again felt that England is some centimetres (or inches or whatever the most useful unit would be) too short for me.
The hostel provided for nothing unexpected but a changed address combined with an unchanged map. However, we were only told this by Mr Reception (according to his sign next too the doorbell) who kept every hint of a hostel, e.g. stickers, maybe as a souvenir.

As I have only been to London once and in times immemorial, i.e. one and a half decades ago, and because of the limited time, I contended myself with the beginner's tour and mainly took pictures of important places. Camden Markets, Piccadilly Circus, Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace, St James's Park, Covent Garden, Tower Bridge and Harrod's are the keywords here.
Of course, I cannot suppress some comments about people that mainly concerns tourists here, because you rarely meet normal people in London. Interestingly, the French are the biggest group here, followed by Germans and Italians. Only at the Tower, they are second to the Germans – I have no idea what to conclude of that.
The omnipresence of tourists from Europe makes walking in crowds different from what I have gotten used to: they step to the right. I trained myself with effort to get rid of that instinct and suddenly there I constantly bump into people. I even believe that Londoners have let themselves adopt that behaviour and got pushed to the right side.

Finally just one comment as a comparison of London and Manchester. Upon returning the latter feels small, shabby and provincial. And this is not only the architecture, but even as much people's dressing habits. The girls there dress a bit classier and their taste allows for something else than miniskirts – but still the average height of the skirt seam is much higher than in Germany.

Enough talking, let the pictures speak.

No comments: