Tuesday 16 December 2008

C, CM and PhD notes

To keep on surprising my dear readers, I am writing down some further notes from the recent days.

Christmas Markets first: thanks for your sympathy, but I can report that I dared to eat some sausage at another stall and this one was indeed better. Not very good though, but acceptable. Bravely, I continued to have mulled wine and apple strudel, both good. However, the latter was served with custard instead of vanilla ice cream which forces me to mark down its test results

Remarkably, a bigger part of the Christmas Markets is in German hands - people say, about half of it. Unfortunately, it is still controlled by the British and their strict curfew, meaning no alcohol outside the fences around Albert Square and they close at nine sharp.

Further, I can tell that the PhD comics guy is funny even in reality, this was some kind of Christmas lecture yesterday. A bit of a disappointment was that there was a moral to his talk, but not the moral itself: procrastination is different from laziness and it is OK.

I wonder if I witnessed the creation of a new comic and I can exclusively announce that he wrote down the words "thesis envy" and the sentence "The grass is always greener on the other side of defense." By the way, they did have free food, i.e. wine and mince pies.

In other news, the result of the congestion charge referendum is quite clear: 80% voted no. As I already told, it is not unusual to me as a left-ish Bavarian to be with a vast minority.

That means, I have to take the bus to the airport for some more years, because they don't know what will happen to the tram line there that was part of the plan. I am making this way later today in the usual way and wish everybody something like a Merry Christmas in case I will not be able to keep up the current speed of blogging.

No comments: