Saturday 6 December 2008

St. Nicholas Day

Now that it is St. Nicholas Day, Christmas is not far, even if you try to be objective. Thus, I dared to visit the Christmas Markets in Manchester today. Brought up with that in Germany, I was curious as to what expect from this copy that even comes in several parts: the German, the European and the World Christmas Markets.


Well, what should I say? Christmas Markets with everything that belongs there, I just did not find the Glühwein tent where they play awful Apres-Ski music. Otherwise, roasted almonds taste the same, chocolate coated fruits, too - sold at the "Bavarian Sweets" stall, where I was immediately asked if I was from Germany. Maybe I was targeting the typical things too eagerly and that tipped me and my experience off.

The big flop, however, was the "Bratwurst". I could have guessed it, the Britons are famous for not knowing how to do neither sausages nor rolls. Therefore, enjoyment of the fat and meatless former in a dry and fluffy latter was rather limited. Don't know if I will try again where they explicitly advertise "German Bratwurst".

However, I do have to return - my dear Christmas Market veterans have certainly noticed: I forgot the Glühwein. Not forgotten, rather not eager enough to queue, because if there is alcohol, hordes of Britons are not far. At least, they sell "Nürnberger Christkindles Glühwein", the famous one from Aldi. They also sell mugs - I have to add one of those to my collection.

As the pictures show you: decoration is there, too. As well as an ice rink and a ramp with artificial snow that you can glide down in a tyre. After all, everything is just the way I don't miss from Germany. Glühwein, Glögg rather, can just as well be sourced from IKEA.

No comments: